The mission of The Herbert and Leonard Littman Families Holocaust Resource Center (HRC) at Rutgers University is to teach future generations about the Holocaust by training educators and providing educational materials to teachers, students, and scholars. Its programs are designed to enhance public awareness of the Holocaust and promote discussion of racism, genocide, discrimination, and the importance of protecting human rights. The HRC is an important part of the Bildner Center’s overall mission of prejudice reduction and outreach to the broader community.
This educator training project has been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
receive a $250 stipend.
The MTI prepares teachers to:
- Teach the Holocaust with primary documents
- Teach Holocaust literature
- Teach the Holocaust with film, photography, art, and other media
- Prepare students for visits to Holocaust exhibits
- Teach about the Holocaust within the broader framework of other genocides, prejudice, and intolerance
- Resource materials for classroom use and professional enrichment
- Access to leading scholars of the Holocaust
- Assistance in curriculum development from experts in Holocaust pedagogy
- Access to supportive teacher network
- Access to Shoah Visual History Archive
- 15 Professional Development credits per semester
- Teachers who complete both fall and spring semesters (2015-16) are eligible for a $250 stipend.
Faculty and Staff
The MTI now offers its distinguished series of teacher enrichment programs in a new format, designed to enable greater flexibility of participation by more teachers.
- complete a cycle of any four semesters within a period of three years.
- take the History of the Holocaust mini-course in June (if teachers have not already taken a college-level course on this topic).
- prepare a pedagogical project for their school, under the supervision of the MTI’s pedagogical and academic advisors. Successfully completed projects are eligible for awards to teachers’ schools to help implement the project.
Please return the completed application to
The Bildner Center, 12 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Seminars meet at the Bildner Center. Parking available nearby.
Past presenters include:
Omer Bartov, Brown University • David Engel, New York University • Henry Greenspan, University of Michigan •Jan Gross, Princeton University • Atina Grossman, The New School • Marion Kaplan, New York University •Samuel Kassow, Trinity College • Harry Reicher, University of Pennsylvania •Hanna Yablonka, Yad Vashem & Ben Gurion University