The Master Teacher Institute (MTI) in Holocaust Education is a dynamic advanced training program to develop expert teachers in Holocaust studies who will serve as resource providers in their schools, districts, and communities. The MTI engages teachers in a wide-ranging study of the history of the Holocaust and its remembrance and addresses the complex methodological issues involved in teaching about this subject.
The MTI is open to middle and high school educators teaching in New Jersey. Applicants must have a minimum of three years teaching experience and at least one year of involvement with Holocaust/genocide education.
FREE One Day Workshop
Individuals Matter: Personal Narratives in Response to the Nazi Threat
Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Speakers: Rebecca Erbelding, Historian and Curator, U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
Colleen Tambuscio, Pedagogical Consultant
Advance registration required by September 20.
"Teachers who attend this workshop are eligible to participate in a free trip the to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum later this year. "
There is no fee to participate in these programs, lunch included.
This educator training project has been supported by a grant from the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany.
- Teach the Holocaust with primary documents
- Teach Holocaust literature
- Teach the Holocaust with film, photography, art, and other media
- Prepare students for visits to Holocaust exhibits
- Teach about the Holocaust within the broader framework of other genocides, prejudice, and intolerance
- Resource materials for classroom use and professional enrichment
- Access to leading scholars of the Holocaust
- Assistance in curriculum development from experts in Holocaust pedagogy
- Access to supportive teacher network
- Access to Shoah Visual History Archive
- 15 Professional Development credits per semester
- Teachers who complete both fall and spring semesters (2015-16) are eligible for a $250 stipend.
Please return the completed application for the summer program to
The Bildner Center, 12 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Seminars meet at the Bildner Center. Parking available nearby.
For further information please call 848-932-4165. For updates and announcements of related programs, please join our teacher email list.
Past presenters include:
Omer Bartov, Brown University • David Engel, New York University • Henry Greenspan, University of Michigan •Jan Gross, Princeton University • Atina Grossman, The New School • Marion Kaplan, New York University •Samuel Kassow, Trinity College • Harry Reicher, University of Pennsylvania •Hanna Yablonka, Yad Vashem & Ben Gurion University